Turkey Visa for US Citizens
How to Apply for Turkish eVisa in Three Easy Steps?
Turkey is a country that has been a popular tourist destination for many years, and for a good reason. The country has a lot to offer visitors, from beautiful beaches to ancient ruins to exciting nightlife.
If you are a US citizen, you can obtain a visa to travel to Turkey on business, tourism, or a private visit. The Turkish embassy in Washington, DC, is your best bet if you are looking to obtain a visa for the US. You can also apply for a visa online through the Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Your visa will be ready within a few days, or you can make an appointment by calling the Turkish embassy.
- The traditional way of getting a visa for Turkey
- The changes in the visa application process
- E-Visa for US citizens by Government of Turkey
- What are the required documents that you need to apply for the e-Visa?
- Why choose E-Visa?
- Number of people who can apply for an E-Visa together?
- What do you need to take care of?
- The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program for US citizens visiting Turkey
- When can they apply for STEP?
- Visa requirement during transit through Turkey
- Pricing of an E-Visa
- Visiting Turkey through a cruise ship
- Some basic tips
The traditional way of getting a visa for Turkey
One of the biggest reasons people have been coming to Turkey for years is their visa policies. For a long time, Turkey has been a country that offers visas on arrival for a lot of different nationalities, which has made it a popular destination for tourists.
The changes in the Turkey visa application process
Traditional visa policies have changed in recent years, however. For most nationalities, visitors now must obtain Turkish visas in advance. This used to be much less of a requirement, but in recent years the number of visitors has been increasing exponentially, causing problems for the country's visa policies. Today, the majority of visitors to Turkey need a visa in advance to enter the country.
This has traditionally meant that getting a visa to Turkey is easy for US citizens. All you have to do is show up at the Turkish embassy or consulate in your home country, prove that you want to visit Turkey, and you'll be given a visa in no time.
But recently, Turkey has been making changes to its visa policies, with a focus on restricting visas for tourists rather than residents. As a result, getting a visa to Turkey for US citizens has become much more difficult.
This guide is designed to help you understand the current visa policies for US citizens, including the type of visas that you can apply for, how long it takes to get a visa, and where to apply. In most cases applying for any kind of visa can be complicated, but not in the case when it comes to being a citizen of the US and applying for Turkish eVisa because here, everything is done electronically.
E-Visa for US citizens by Government of Turkey
A Turkey e-Visa is an electronic travel authorization issued to United States citizens by the Government of Turkey. It is different from a standard visa and is designed for people who want to travel to Turkey without having to apply for a visa in advance.
What are the required documents that you need to apply for the e-Visa?
- A valid email address
- A passport is at the expiration date of at least 6 months from the date you intend to visit Turkey.
- A passport scans
- Being a US citizen, you will also need to show your residence ID.
- Debit/ credit card for payment.
Information that is supposed to be provided during the filing of e-visa is as follows-
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Contact details
- Issuing country
- Passport number
- Issue and expiry date
- Date of arrival in turkey
- Purpose of visit- whether it is for tourist or business purposes.
Validity of e visa turkey
When an e-visa is issued, it is applicable for 180 days upon arrival, and you will be provided with a Multiple Entry right. But the staying period cannot exceed more than 90 days in total.
Each e-visa application goes through the Turkish Immigration department, and it takes approximately 1 hour to get your visa application approved. People always advised that they should not book any flight accommodations in Turkey and wait till they receive confirmation from the immigration department.
What do you need to take care of?
Once the application is approved and you receive your e-visa through email within 1 hour, it is always advised that the passengers should keep a printed copy of the visa with them though they must be carrying their e-visa on their phone or tablet. The e-visa will be verified by passport control officers through their online systems.
When can they apply for visa?
US citizens can apply for the smart traveler enrollment program when they are applying for their e-visa for Turkey.
When traveling to Turkey, US citizens must carry the following documents-
- Valid visa to Turkey from the USA
- Passport valid for at least 180 days
- COVID-19 form for an entry in Turkey
- Negative test report
- Vaccine certificate
- Recovery document
Some COVID-19 measures are to be taken care of before entering Turkey.
- A form for entry to Turkey is needed to be completed by the travelers. This health declaration must be submitted when travelers apply for their e-visa.
- If the traveler recently recovered from COVID-19, they need to submit a recovery certificate along with that vaccination certificate. A negative test report of the last 72 hours is also to be submitted.
Why choose Turkey e Visa?
As the whole process for e-Visa is online, it makes it easy and comfortable for every American citizen to have access to it. The e-visa is favorable for persons who are traveling on short notice as e-visa can be obtained within minutes through the email provided.
How many people can apply for an E-Visa together?
The e-visa can be applied for an individual and family where the minimum number of people is 2, and the maximum number of people is 10. Talking for a group, the minimum number of people is 10, and the maximum can get up to 300 people.
Visa requirement during transit through Turkey
When US citizens have to transit through a Turkish airport, though they are not required to have a Turkey transit visa, a valid passport and an onward ticket are needed. But if their transit journey is by road, rail, or sea, then they need an approved visa which is mandatory.
Pricing of an E-Visa Turkey for US citizens
There are various types of visas US citizens can apply for to visit Turkey depending on the time and purpose of visiting the country. When US citizens are applying for an e-visa, the cost a US citizen has to pay varies if they have opted for any extra services. These extra services may include how fast you want your visa application to get processed.
- The standard processing, which takes around ..., costs up to USD 77.50
- The rush processing, which takes around ..., costs up to USD 98.50
- The super rush, which takes around ..., costs up to USD 125.50
The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program for US citizens visiting Turkey
An embassy registration service known as STEP is advised to every US citizen to use when they are traveling to Turkey. This is recommended to the citizens as it provides the US embassy in Turkey with their details which can be used in any state of emergency while traveling.
Visiting Turkey through a cruise ship
Apart from traveling to Turkey by airways, the country is also a popular destination for cruise ships. The ports of Turkey, such as Marmaris, Bodrum, and Kusadasi, attract thousands of visitors every year.
If any US citizen is planning to visit Turkey through a cruise ship, they don't need a Turkey eVisa. If they only plan to visit at their ship docks or their whole plan does not exceed 3 days (72hours).
Suppose any visitor plans to stay longer than this. In that case, they have to apply for a visa or an eVisa, which will depend on their nationality.
Some people also ask if they can work in Turkey with an E-Visa or not. The E-Visa is only designed for US travelers for short trips like vacations and business trips, but they are not meant to permit them to work in the country. If a US personnel wants to work in Turkey, they are supposed to contact a Turkish embassy and need to consult about necessary residency visas and work permits.
Now, suppose US citizens are not applying for an E-Visa because of any reason. In that case, the following are the documents they need to carry with themselves when applying for the visa.
- A passport with a minimum of 2 blank pages is valid for at least 6 months and at least 90 days after the end of travel.
- Copy of the first page includes personal data and any previous visas are applied.
- Complete and sign the visa application form
- Two biometric photos which should not be older than 6 months
- Confirmed air tickets of both ways
- A bank statement is also needed to prove that the passenger has sufficient funds.
- Proof of your hotel reservations in Turkey
- Travel health insurance will be valid in the country for the period you are going to stay.
- Evidence of occupation through employer letter, student certificate, demonstration of pension funds.
Apart from this, every country has their own visa rules, and so do Turkey-
- People can work, study, reside in Turkey without any immigration restriction if they are from Northern Cyprus.
- If the travelers want to shoot a documentary, they will have to conduct any kind of research, or even visit an archeological site, they need to obtain special permission from the concerned authorities before their trip.
- As mentioned before, passengers who are passing through Turkey through a cruise ship can enter the country without any obligations, but their staying period should not exceed more than 3 days.
Apart from an E-Visa, there are various types of Visa the Government of Turkey provide-
Type of Turkey visa for (Short-term stay)
The visa is valid for 90 days and is granted to third-country citizens who will be visiting the country for a designated period.
Turkey Tourist Visa
This visa is provided to those who are visiting the country for tourism and entertainment purposes only. These visas can also be granted in E-Visas and visas upon arrival if the passenger is from an eligible country.
Turkey Visa for a visit to family, relatives, and friends
Those passengers who are traveling to the country to meet their family, friends, or any relative are eligible to apply for a private visa by submitting a private invitation as proof.
Turkey visa for business and fair visits
The travelers who are visiting countries solely for business purposes like conferences, business meetings, or any other kind of commercial activity are granted Turkey visas for business, but the whole term will be restricted to determining periods.
Turkey visa for cultural, sports activities and participation to conferences
Suppose a traveler is required to participate in any sporting event, cultural activity, or any related conference. In that case, they need to apply for this visa. They also need to provide an invitation letter that too on the official letterhead as proof the host organization is obligatory for the application process of the traveler.
Turkey visa for short-term education and traineeship
Travelers who seek a short-term education course in Turkey or any kind of traineeship can apply for this visa. For the application, they need to provide an official invitation letter by the employer or educational institute highlighting the dates of the enrolled program.
Type of Turkey visa for (Long-Term Stay)
This visa is for travelers who have to stay in the country for over 90 days.
Mainly students who wish to study in the country at a Turkish educational institute shall apply for this visa with a letter of admission.
The applications must be made through diplomatic missions to get a work visa or a work permit in Turkey for over 90 days. A letter of employment will also be needed to submit to the Turkish Ministry of Labor and Social Security for approval.
People who are going to stay in Turkey for over 90 days need to get themselves registered at the local police departments after their arrival.
Though most of the travelers need an approved visa for entering the country, there are countries whose citizens can enter only with their national IDs. They are
- Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus
- The Netherlands
There are also countries whose citizens are allowed to enter the country with expired passports. These are-
- Passports expired within the last 5 years
- Bulgaria- valid ordinary passports
- Germany- passports expired within 1 year/ID's expired within 1 year
Some basic tips
We have covered almost everything regarding how US citizens can get their visas for Turkey for different purposes. These are the currently being monitored requirements, and COVID-19 tests are also mandatory. But keeping in view changes in rules that can occur due to different circumstances need to be updated by interested travelers on a regular basis. Checking for any changes prior can make your visa application smooth and hustle-free. Double-checking every document is also very necessary because if even a document is missing or is not proper, the visa application can get canceled then and there only.